It seems like everyday there are new ones popping up. Each web is carefully constructed and refreshed daily? hourly even.
I am not sure.
Of course they are nice to look at. To see intelligence stream in a place where stupidity runs rampant and triviality is at the top of the dietary pyramid. It is not a problem which is unique to Belize.
Kim Kardashian’s weddings, Robin Williams’ suicide and a copyright battle over a monkey selfie are featured on ABC, NBC and other American media networks as World News.
So in this climate, I wonder why he would try to swim against the current and build webs, which are not mainstream media gruel, not focused around or built for facebook, twitter, instagram or tumblr?
I can only make assumptions. I guess the hope is that enough people will realise that there is something beyond the bullshit diet we are bred on. That besides the greasy $3.50 fry chicken meal we have for lunch everyday there’s food at the market. But only if you challenge yourself, not to stay up so late chatting on Whatsapp, liking selfies on Facebook or reading Miley Cyrus’ twitter feed.
And only if you question authority. When you ask the government press office why they keep stating that crime is down and people are being shot to death daily. Maybe in my little Belize, more people are slaughtered than cows, chickens and pigs combined.
That is scary.
When you ask the National Institute for Culture and History to
1. Explain where exactly are they with the investigation of what transpired in Nuevo San Juan at Noh Mul on April 13, 2013.
2. In the light of the Noh Mul demolition, what is the strategic plan for Archaeology in Belize. Are there other sites which are endangered?
3. What is the culture budget for 2008 - 2012 and 2012 - 2017?
4. Why the September Celebrations calendar for 2014 is invested with Carnival and Jourvert and Caribbean artists? Where are the symposiums on Belizean History and Culture? Belizean art exhibits? Archaeology summits?
5. Is the only ‘culture’ which is to be developed and consumed in Belize, Carnival? Why?
When you ask the Ministry of Education why so many children are out of school, and what they plan to do about it.
Why they haven’t considered ‘free education’ since most children’s parents are complaining that they simply can’t afford to educate them.
When you start asking questions and realise that there are no answers, you realise, this guy building webs is on to something.
Well, because the problems we Belizeans face are
1. connected to problems as far away as the ideology behind the massacre at the Gaza Strip in the Middle East
2. will not be solved if we don’t consider the entire structure of the institutions in our country, and that they have been failing to function for years. We have not demanded anything from them:
3. Tackling the crime situation soley is a mistake. The crime situation is, like a web, directly linked to the school drop-outs, demolished Noh Muls, carnival culture and defunct and impotent ministries and government departments. Pulling the crime string from the web of problems will solve nothing.
That artists need to stop painting dolphins and realise that we are in the midst of war against culturelessness. That if we do not demand culture in the school syllabi countrywide and yearly fiscal budget we are in danger of losing ourselves completely.
And if we do, lose ourselves completely, who would who we have to blame but ourselves?
also featured on: http://www.postlandings.com/marathon.html